Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tonight I watched the ABC Primetime special on teen pregnancy and my heart broke right in half. It really brought to the surface feelings I had on my own pregnancy and how trying it was as a happily married woman. I am lucky enough to have had the means to afford a child and to care for her as well as to have a loving husband who is here for E and I and would do anything for the two of us. I absolutely cannot imagine having gone through pregnancy, labor, childbirth, and the first few months of E's life without Steve. I am not sure I would have made it. These girls who were pregnant at 14, 15, 16, 17 had nothing like the support that I have. Granted, their parents are helping them out, but in most of the cases the babies' dads are not around and those who were around had relationship problems. In some cases the girls chose to give their babies up for adoption, but most chose to keep them. I just wish I had the means (and emotional/physical ability) to adopt a baby from a girl who needs a loving home for their child. I would love to encourage the girls to continue to live their lives as the young girls that they are and to let their children grow up in a family with a mom and a dad. I cannot imagine how hard of a thing that would be after carrying and delivering a child, but I also cannot imagine raising a child in a home or situation that I knew was less than wonderful.

Sorry for my little soapbox rant, but I have been thinking about the situation of teenage pregnancy so much lately. Our country has some of the most sex education in the world and yet we have such a high incidence of teenage/unwed pregnancy. It is beyond me! I feel for these young girls and even more for their sweet babies. I just want to bring them home to my loving home!!! I hope this hasn't offended anyone in any way..I just needed to vent a little bit... I think I'm going to go snuggle my little munchkin now!

No comments: