Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Friends

Photo found http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/mharrisonegc/friends/friends_by_ssilence.jpg

Yet another thought about friends. I was reading this book by Kate Jacobs called The Friday Night Knitting Club (highly recommended) and came across this quote:

"The thing is...that when you're young, you always think you'll meet all sorts of wonderful people, that drifting apart and losing friends is natural. You don't worry, at first, about the friends you leave behind. But as you get older, it gets harder to build friendships. Too many defenses, too little opportunity. You get busy. And by the time you realize that you've lost the dearest best friend you've ever had years have gone by and you're mature enough to be embarrassed by your attitude and, frankly, by your arrogance." (pg. 137)

Wow, this really hit home for me! I have felt in the past that if a friend really wanted to talk to me they would...after all a friendship is two ways right? As I have gotten older I am starting to realize that sometimes, oftentimes, it is up to ME! I have gotten lazy and arrogant in my friendships and before I know it, they will all be gone. I love all of the wonderful people who have surrounded me in at various times in my life, and I miss the support system of my great friends. Thank heavens Steven and I are bound by eternal ties, or who knows when I'd talk to him next because I'm busy!

Take some time to think of those friends that you haven't heard from in a long time. Those friends that you love and miss. Email or call or contact them in some way because chances are they are missing your friendship too! Looks like I have some catching up to do this week!

3 comments:

{Jessica} said...

I like that quote to it is so so so so so so true!! I am so glad we are firends and I hope we will be forever!!!

Jason and Kristine said...

Danielle,

How are things going? We're just about hitting our third trimester...can you believe it?! I'm starting to get killer back pains though. Any crazy aches or pains yet? I wish we lived closer. Anyway...any updates on where you might be next year yet?

Courtney said...

Hey Danielle! I can't wait to see you next weekend! What a great way for Friends to catch up! I'm excited to see your baby bump!